Being an entrepreneur isn’t like having a 9-5 job. There are no hump days, or sick days and sometimes there aren’t even weekends. Owning a business often means you are in charge of everything. I’m even going out on a limb to say that sometimes business owners don’t even schedule days off.
I’ve owned my business for over twenty-five years and yes, I can work too many days without taking time off. Recently I’ve had the realization that all work and no play makes me sluggish, cranky and unmotivated – traits that aren’t conducive to running a successful business or being a happy healthy entrepreneur.
This past July 4th (a holiday in the United States) I took a “guilt-free” day off. It was like having a mini-vacation. I watched the complete first season of the television series Bones on DVD and I made potato salad and fried chicken for lunch. That’s it – that was my day. It was fun because I didn’t play mind games with myself – I didn’t worry about unopened emails or writing blog posts – I physically, emotionally and mentally took the day off.
I planned my day off ahead of time. Here’s what I did:
1. I marked the day off on my calendar and consciously decided NOT to plan anything that wasn’t fun and relaxing. I made a commitment to myself to emotionally and physically enjoy the day.
2. I let those close to me know I had plans and wouldn’t be available. Sometimes friends, clients and family have a difficult time honoring my days off.
3. Two weeks ahead of time I purchased the DVD of Bones. When it arrived I placed the wrapped DVD in my office where I could see it every day. It was my motivation for getting my work completed.
4. Together my husband and I planned the day off. We knew and honored each other’s plans.
5. The morning of July 4th I opened my new DVD and excitedly began watching my day long Bones marathon. I happily got up early to make potato salad and prepare the chicken – even preparing chicken felt like fun. Why? Because my attitude was different – it was my day off.
Does this make sense? I gave myself permission to relax. I planned my day off as if I were going on vacation and in a way it was a vacation. It felt great to totally relax!
I’m writing this post on July 5th and I’m ready to start my day. My to-do list is prepared and I’m motivated to get things done because I am refreshed and rejuvenated.
When will you plan your guilt-free day of relaxation?
© Copyright 2014 SharonMichaels.com – All Rights Reserved
Be sure to purchase your copy of Sharon’s goal setting and achieving paperback and Kindle book, 21 Days to Living Your Dreams on Amazon.com
I’m Sharon Michaels and I teach you how to do business successfully. http://SharonMichaels.com
I invite you to stop by and check out my Author page on Amazon.com – learn more about all my Amazon books Sharon Michaels Amazon.com Author page