I always joke that I had to “drag” myself into the Social Media age. I resisted Facebook, Twitter and I certainly never thought I’d be blogging. But here I am, using all these types of Social Media and loving it!
My favorite Social Media tool has to be blogging. I started my first blog in 2009 and last year added another blog to my list of Social Media marketing tools. Between the two blogs, I have committed myself to blogging at least eight times per month.
Over the past years I’ve come to realize that my blog readers make the decision to stay and read my posts within 2-4 seconds of arriving on the site. With that 2-4 second decision-making process in mind, I’ve come up with a few pointers I’d like to share with you:
- The overall design of the blog. I’ve learned to keep the blog design clean, simple and easy to read and navigate.
- Make your blog easy to read. In my opinion, white space is vital. Having reasonable margins, white space between paragraphs, using bullet points, etc. will help your reader focus on your content and not become preoccupied by any unnecessary “bells and whistles.”
- Limit outside links. You don’t want readers to become distracted and click off your page before they’ve finished reading your posts or take action on what you are offering. Too many links can be distracting.
- Make your blog site easy to navigate. A confused reader is a reader who will leave your site and probably not return. Use a site map to help your reader navigate the site and a simple search tool to help them find past blog posts.
- Keep your blog post length to one or two scrolls down the page. Readers don’t want to stay in one place too long. Keep your posts short, sweet and to the point. In this fast-paced digital age it isn’t easy to keep a reader’s attention – use short paragraphs, bullet points, video and audio to get your point across quickly. And of course, always provide valuable content!
The only other thing I’d add would be to end your blog post with a call to action. Invite your readers to buy your product, “like” your Facebook page, follow you on Twitter or subscribe to your YouTube channel – ask them to take action.
Here’s my call to action for you: Take a minute and leave us a comment – what would you add to my bullet point list?
© Copyright 2013 SharonMichaels.com – All Rights Reserved
I’m Sharon Michaels and I teach you how to do business successfully. http://SharonMichaels.com
I invite you to join Women Enjoying Success where monthly I provide you with the latest success tools for growing yourself, your wealth and your business . . . http://WomenEnjoyingSuccess.com it’s like having an Online Success Coach available 24/7. Come join us!